Friday, April 22, 2011

Beef Stroganoff and Daddy Issues










Living an hour away from my family and friends can sometimes be harrowing.  Doug works long and erratic hours. I don't work at all.  So, I spend a lot of time alone, or with the dogs.  If I lived back in NY, I'd be surrounded by a bevy of family and friends.  Instead, simple girlfriend get-togethers require much more planning than ever before - partly due to evolving lives and growing families, still I can't help but believe the added distance is a factor.  Family dinners are reduced to mostly holidays and special occasions. For the most part, I'm not complaining.  Even with it's occasional pitfalls and difficulties, I love my life.  I have a wonderful supportive man who allows me just enough wallowing before lighting a motivational fire under my tush, the time we spend together is filled with love and laughter and when I do get to see my family and friends, it's usually somewhat of a grand event.  

There is just one thing that's been eating at me.  It's been eating at my father too, but not in the way he'd prefer.  It's something he mentions with every new blog post and the physical distance between us is, without a doubt, the culprit. A staunch supporter of my blog, as is the rest of my family, dad loves reading my prose but simply reading the recipes just isn't cutting it.  Culinarily challenged, he is a bit gun shy about attempting my recipes but exhibits no hesitation in reminding me (with great regularity) that "dear old dad" has yet to sample my dishes.  

However, last December, Doug and I had the pleasure of hosting my parents for a simple dinner.  It was a lovely evening and this dish was the star - at least for us carnivores (mom, being pescevegetarian, feasted on a huge salad and some noodles (next time they come for dinner, though, I'm making this)).  Dad raved about dinner then, and can now say that he's tasted (at least one of) my recipes.  So, dad, this one's for you!  


Traditional Beef Stroganoff, while creamy and delicious, can be a bit heavy so I thought I'd lighten it up a bit.  Granted it's still a bit of a splurge, but really really worth it!

You can make this on the stove by cooking the meat all the way through, but I think nothing beats the extra time in the crock pot for some truly tender morsels of beef.  


Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 lbs boneless beef sirloin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cooking oil spray
1/2 tsp dried ground mustard
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp paprika
2 cups 99% fat free beef broth
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp ketchup
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
12 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Egg Noodles (cooked according to package directions)



Cal: 419  Fat: 15g  Carb: 51g  Protein: 43g  Fiber: 8g  
Serves: 6


Season the sirloin well with salt and pepper and cut into 1 inch cubes (or 2 inch strips across the grain if you prefer). Spray a large saute pan with cooking oil spray and saute garlic and onions until translucent.  Add beef and cook just until browned.
Stir in ground mustard, dill and paprika.  Transfer mixture to a crock pot.

Add 1 3/4 cup of beef broth (reserving the final 1/4 cup for later use) and Worcestershire sauce.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.

Stir cornstarch into remaining 1/4 cup of beef broth until to make a slurry.  After the beef has finished cooking for 3-4 or 6-8 hours, but while still in the hot crock pot, slowly stir the slurry into the beef mixture and continue to stir until the broth thickens.  Once thickened, add ketchup and sour cream and stir well.  Serve over egg noodles.


Bon Appetit!




4 comments:

  1. This dish looks so incredibly comforting. I'll have to try making this. There's nothing I love more than eating noodles swimming in something savory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jourdan,
    R. Davis is going to love this. He digs anything with 1. ketchup 2. worchestershiresizzler sauce 3. the "Mustard" in mustard seed 4. egg noodles

    Thanks for the post, Pumkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Clay Pot - thank you so much! It's an easy favorite to fall back on when in need of something comforting and yummy and with the help of the crock pot, it can be almost ready after work which, during a busy week, is the best part! Loving your blog, btw - thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @David, thanks Pumpkin! This dish is one of my favorites. It's creamy, yummy, comforting, EASY and not too much of an indulgence to completely throw the diet!
    I love that you come visit the blog and love it even more that you're planning on trying some of the recipes! Let me know what you and R think of anything you try!

    ReplyDelete